It is very important to check your transmission fluid frequently. Allowing your fluid to go bad and waiting too long to get it changed can cause a lot of problems for car. Transmissions can be very expensive to fix and is even more expensive to replace. Check your transmission every 50,000 miles or so, just to be safe. One of the best times to get your transmission fluid checked by a professional is during a routine engine oil change. Our specialists are always happy to check it for you and let you know the condition of your transmission fluid.
If you want to check your transmission fluid yourself, here are some simple steps to help:
- Put your vehicle in park, set your parking brake and make sure you are on level ground.
- Locate your transmission filler tube under the car (if your car doesn’t have one, see a specialist).
- Remove the dip stick and clean it with a dry cloth.
- Reinsert the dip stick all the way and then take it back out to see the level of the fluid.
- If the color of the fluid is not clear and has a burnt odor, it is time to get it changed!
Without changing your transmission fluid on time, your transmission will be lubricated with metal shavings and other contaminants, shortening your transmission’s life. Transmissions can fail even after you already changed the fluid because the damage has already been done by waiting too long get new fluid. Without being proactive, a hefty penny is needed to get a replacement.
A transmission changes the gears of your engine. It transfers the engine’s power to the wheels allowing your car to move. Changing the transmission fluid on a regular basis will make sure the fluid stays clean and will keep your car running smooth! Changing the fluid in your transmission can be a complicated mess so if you are even a little uncomfortable doing it yourself, let the professionals do it for you!